I saw some of you down at the huge blackberry patch the other day. Yummy berries, hmmm? Since blackberries are ripe or ripening all over Gabriola right now, I thought I’d tell you about this easiest-ever way to make ice cream.
- Pick a bunch of berries, and freeze them. Blackberries, strawberries, raspberries – whatever. If using big strawberries, chop before freezing.
- Buy some heavy cream. You know, whipping cream before it’s whipped. Get the stuff with the extra-high fat content, because it’s yummier.
- Get out your food processor and some small serving bowls.
Ready? Ok. Here are the
- Put 284 grams (that’s 10 ounces or about 2/34 cups) of frozen berries into the food processor.
- Process until they’re roughly chopped, or a bit more chopped.
- With the food processor running, pour in 3/4 cup of heavy cream.
- Mix until just combined.
- If you think the mixture needs sweetener (we don’t), then add some.
- Spoon ice cream into serving dishes.
- Eat immediately, or put into freezer for 30 minutes or less.
This stuff is just scrumptious. Serves two piggy people, three average people, or four people who just want a wee sample. Don’t make extra to keep in the freezer, as it just gets too hard to eat if you freeze it for more than 30 minutes or so. (Although I suppose you could let it thaw a bit if it were too hard to eat….)
I wasn’t so impressed with the results when I used blueberries, but, but blackberry, blackberry/strawberry and raspberry ice cream were all wonderful.
9 Responses to “Berry ice cream in minutes, no ice-cream maker needed!”